Why is my hard drive not detecting while trying to install Windows?
This problem pertains to installations of Windows XP, 2003 Server, and all Windows 2000 variants.
This problem occurs when you have a system with a Serial ATA drive installed in the machine. In order for the Operating
System to recognize the hard drive the Serial Raid controller driver must be installed off of the floppy disk that came
in the drivers package of the machine. Here are the directions for installing the driver off of the floppy disk:
1. Boot off of your Windows CD
2. Press the 'F6' key when prompted (the prompt is at the bottom of the screen, it will be one of the very first things that you see when you boot off of the CD)
3. When it stops on the "You have chosen to manually specify a Mass Storage Device" screen press the 'S' key.
4. Insert the Floppy disk and press 'enter'
5. Choose the correct driver for your Operating System and press 'enter'.
- Some RAID controllers, such as those used by Nvidia, may require multiple drivers. To load multiple drivers, after step 6 has been completed, repeat steps 3 through 6 and select the other driver that you require.
6. Now press 'enter' one more time and continue to load normally.